Jewelry Studio Rules
- Respect for the teacher, other students, and self are required in the studio. This includes personal responsibility to follow all safety requirements and to use common sense when in the studio. Any student ignoring the studio safety requirements, accidentally, or intentionally, assumes full personal responsibility. Please follow posted notices and teacher advice.
- Dress appropriately: remove all ties, long neck chains/ jewelry, scarves, tie belts. These can easily catch in moving equipment used in the studio. Always tie back long hair! We suggest you wear old clothes—they will get dirty. Closed-toed shoes must be worn in the jewelry studio.
- Eye protection equipment and dust respirators are provided—all students are required to use them when operating any mechanical equipment. Eye protection is also required when hammering. Please take personal responsibility for your protection. Students may wish to bring their own safety glasses.
- MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) are available in the studio for all students to read. MSDS provide valuable information on materials used in the studio. They are located in a binder located on the shelf with the studio’s resource books and catalog.
- Any hazardous condition must be reported to a staff person and your teacher immediately!
- A first aid kit is located on the east wall, blue box near the phone, and right outside the jewelry area, red box near the pug mill area. For serious injuries, get medical attention immediately and advise your teacher and the office staff at the Pottery.
- Students are permitted to use the studio only during their scheduled class time. A missed class cannot be exchanged for another class. Personal visitors, children, or anyone not enrolled in the class are not allowed to sit in on the class. Visitors are always welcomed for a tour of the facility, and should contact the office.
- Equipment, tools, books, and resource materials are available for student use during class time only. They may not be removed from the studio or be lent out at any time.
- Clean-up: At the end of class all students must return tools to their proper location, clean up your personal work area and help classmates restore the studio to its original condition. Teachers are responsible for bleeding all torch tanks, locking the cabinets, and turning off all power to equipment. Please be considerate and help out; this will allow your teacher to spend their time teaching.
- All students must adhere to the rules set by Wesleyan Potters at all times. Information may be obtained from the pottery office, studio manager, or key members. Wesleyan Potters reserves the right to add or alter rules at any time without notice.
- Tuition is not refundable unless the class is cancelled.
- Wesleyan Potters is not responsible for loss or theft of personal items.
- There is a parking lot at the rear of the building that can be reached by going around the block. We request that you use the back parking lot, particularly when the Gallery Shop is open.
- There is no smoking in the building.
- Fire extinguishers are placed throughout the building. There is one in the jewelry studio.
- In case of emergency, evacuate the building.
- Any deviation from the code of conduct or rules may result in a fine and/or dismissal from class with no refund.